The next challenge was rolled out quick to keep us begging for more, We had to select a Board Game, see how it works, and then re-design it to improve it…. Simple?

Due to missing the first week of this 2 week challenge, my choice of games was limited – well tbh I was left with a very poor choice, 2 board games that tbh given half the chance you would burn to keep you warm at the night instead of playing them…. So that fitted in well with the redesign process.  As this challenge is done in a group, I grouped up with Simon and Akemi, we called ourselves the ‘Dropouts’ and our game of choice was the 2003 award winning Alhambra.

As we where a week behind we concentrated on doing the ‘new’ design of the game, saying that Akemi did the original Game Play design on popplet

Original Game Mechanics

We split the work between us, but at this stage there was not alot to do.

After a quick brain storming session re had redesigned the game, tbh by quite a lot, we had removed the need to have the main board – as there is just no need to see a counter.

The New Mechanics

New Game Flowchart

New Game Play Design

 Once we had settled on our new design, it was time to stick it in Adobe for the final presentation, as we had used popplet for the layout and I liked its simple look, I decided to do the same in Adobe.  The first job was to create a simple box with rounded courners and then a second box for our names and then enter the text for each team members name.  Once I had created the box, and before doing the name I selected the 3 layers and mergered them by select one layer and then pressing ‘Ctrl’ and clicking each other layer I wanted to merge.  Once all was selected and while all still active I pressed Ctrl+E to merge the layer.  I then right clicked the layer to duplicate it 2 more times so i had 3 boxes in total.  Then using the text tool i added each team members name to the box saved and merged the text to each members box and made 3 boxes like popplet

Once the boxes where ready I needed to start a new document, so selected inter paper A4 size, and switched my view to side by side.  This allowed me to drag each box across when needed but also so I could see the overall design as i dropped in each new box.

Game Play

As can be seen this is a much simpler game now, we have estimated it will take around 60 to 90mins to finish the game

The above layout was quite simple to  come to, once the boxes where placed it was then just the case of entering the right text and linking the boxes together in the right order.  I created one layer for all the ‘paths’ and one for all the ‘text’.  Before doing the ‘paths, you need to move this new layer down the list so it sits just before the background layer.  The lines where created with the ‘pen’ tool and by holding the shift button at the same time as clicking the left mouse button – this ensured the lines where straight.  Once your happy, you go to paths right click it and select ‘stroke’ set the brush size to a value (I used 13px).  The lines will now be thicker as above, and will be behind the boxes, to create space to right the ‘yes’ or ‘no’ statements I used the ‘rectangle marquee’ tool and while on the path layer just made a box and deleted the area I needed removing.

Final .psd

Advertisements