Category: Class Challenge


The next challenge was rolled out quick to keep us begging for more, We had to select a Board Game, see how it works, and then re-design it to improve it…. Simple?

Due to missing the first week of this 2 week challenge, my choice of games was limited – well tbh I was left with a very poor choice, 2 board games that tbh given half the chance you would burn to keep you warm at the night instead of playing them…. So that fitted in well with the redesign process.  As this challenge is done in a group, I grouped up with Simon and Akemi, we called ourselves the ‘Dropouts’ and our game of choice was the 2003 award winning Alhambra.

As we where a week behind we concentrated on doing the ‘new’ design of the game, saying that Akemi did the original Game Play design on popplet

Original Game Mechanics

We split the work between us, but at this stage there was not alot to do.

After a quick brain storming session re had redesigned the game, tbh by quite a lot, we had removed the need to have the main board – as there is just no need to see a counter.

The New Mechanics

New Game Flowchart

New Game Play Design

 Once we had settled on our new design, it was time to stick it in Adobe for the final presentation, as we had used popplet for the layout and I liked its simple look, I decided to do the same in Adobe.  The first job was to create a simple box with rounded courners and then a second box for our names and then enter the text for each team members name.  Once I had created the box, and before doing the name I selected the 3 layers and mergered them by select one layer and then pressing ‘Ctrl’ and clicking each other layer I wanted to merge.  Once all was selected and while all still active I pressed Ctrl+E to merge the layer.  I then right clicked the layer to duplicate it 2 more times so i had 3 boxes in total.  Then using the text tool i added each team members name to the box saved and merged the text to each members box and made 3 boxes like popplet

Once the boxes where ready I needed to start a new document, so selected inter paper A4 size, and switched my view to side by side.  This allowed me to drag each box across when needed but also so I could see the overall design as i dropped in each new box.

Game Play

As can be seen this is a much simpler game now, we have estimated it will take around 60 to 90mins to finish the game

The above layout was quite simple to  come to, once the boxes where placed it was then just the case of entering the right text and linking the boxes together in the right order.  I created one layer for all the ‘paths’ and one for all the ‘text’.  Before doing the ‘paths, you need to move this new layer down the list so it sits just before the background layer.  The lines where created with the ‘pen’ tool and by holding the shift button at the same time as clicking the left mouse button – this ensured the lines where straight.  Once your happy, you go to paths right click it and select ‘stroke’ set the brush size to a value (I used 13px).  The lines will now be thicker as above, and will be behind the boxes, to create space to right the ‘yes’ or ‘no’ statements I used the ‘rectangle marquee’ tool and while on the path layer just made a box and deleted the area I needed removing.

Final .psd

Advertisements

Make a South Park version of yourself…

The first class challeneg was to make a South Park Version of ourselves, here was the start of my problems 🙂  I dont have a photo of myself 🙂

So settled for doing a Joker version in the SP theme – tbh the Madness of the Joker from the last batman movie will be perfect.  This challenge aim was to help us work and understand layers more, as well as getting use to working with images of different sizes.  This also pulled in our knowledge from Chapters 3 and 4 from the ‘Adobe Class in the Book’ book.

The first part was to build a south park mock up of a character, by sellecting the different layers you could then choose your style – for me as i was working with the ‘Joker Idea’ so went for a ‘mad’ spikey looking nutter with a bit of the formal – so red hair and a suit was choosen.

The next part was to insert ‘our’ face into the image, due to the difference in image size, the face was massive….  So to resize it to the correct size, we selected the southpark layer called face, and then dragging ‘our face’ layer to just infront of the southpark face and then changing the Opacity of ‘our face’ so you could just see it.  We just then hit Ctrl and ???? and it auto sized it to the size of the southpark layer.

Once we where happy with the finished image, we could then flatten the finished image to make it easier to move into the background

Un-Flattened Joker psd

Keeping with the theme of the Joker, I went for a dark street for a background, this was just a case of using the ‘adobe bridge’ option and looking at the backgrounds and then double clicking the image i wanted.  I could either copy and paste one into the other, or by using the ‘arrange documents’  button (the method I went with), I just dragged the Joker into the steet background, brought him to near the front to keep him in the foreground.

I enjoyed this challenge tbh, learnt a lot more by being shown how to do it than i would by just trying it myself.  Just wished we had more time in class to finish this, as the idea of a smoking gun or a deck of cards in his hand would have finished the image.

Final .psd version